Desktop publishing is the creation of visual displays of ideas and information using the computer and software. This technology allows individuals, businesses, and other organizations to self-publish a wide range of printed matter.
Desktop publishing documents may be for desktop or commercial printing or electronic distribution including PDF, slide shows, email newsletters, e-publication, and the Web.
Desktop publishing can be:
- Designing print communications such as brochures, fliers, ads, catalogs and posters
- Designing logos, business cards, letterhead, newsletters, magazines, and booklets
- Converting print communications to formats for the Web and smart devices such as tablets and smart phones
- Creating resumes and business forms including invoices, inventory sheets, memos, and labels
- Self-publishing such as books, newsletters and ebooks
- Designing slides shows, presentations, and printing handouts
- Creating and printing greeting cards, banners and postcards
- Creating decorative labels, envelopes, trading cards, calendars, and charts
- Designing store signs, highway signs, and billboards